What spotter do you use?

Spotter discussions
sunndog
FOUNDER

What spotter do you use?

Post by sunndog »

So theres an absolute glut of spotters around these days what are you folks using?

For me my aged dali wt37 is still giving me sterling service but is due for an upgrade really.
Kevgun

Re: What spotter do you use?

Post by Kevgun »

I use an XQ50 Quantum, it’s about 5 years old and still going strong, so no need to change yet
My next one will be a Pulsar XP50 accolade with the rangefinder, would pretty useful to me on account of having about 30,000 acres to go on, so it’s difficult to know the distance on all of it.
But until the Quantum dies, I’ll stick with it.
sunndog
FOUNDER

Post by sunndog »

My dali must be about 5 years old too. I like to future proof my thermal purchases as much as I can and I went for the wt37 mostly because it's an absolute brick s**thouse of a thing, submersible, with a.v and 12v cables so it will make a great roof mounted truck spotter when I get a new handheld unit
RussDouglas222

Post by RussDouglas222 »

I've got a Pulsar Quantum Lite XQ30V, with a Yukon MPR DVR velcro'd to the side and connected by a fiend's DIY cable.

I'd love to upgrade that lot to something more compact and self-contained, but realistically I don't have the funds so it's going to be my spotter for some time to come.
Cheers. Russ
Airgun World magazine's independent disabled contributor, kit reviewer and Pest Controller.
Review videos: www.youtube.com/c/RussDouglas222
Review photos: www.tinyurl.com/RussDouglasAGW
Chrissmith0881

Post by Chrissmith0881 »

I started with a quantum xq30 but soon upgraded to the Helion xq38f which has been brilliant. Just waiting for stock to arrive and I'm upgrading again to the accolade 2 xp50 lrf I've been using the original accolade xp50 and once you have used one it's hard to go back! :lol:

Chris
hazelted

Post by hazelted »

Hi everyone nice to be here I've had a Helion xq50 for a number of years and its great only shoot at air rifle ranges.

Ted.
sunndog
FOUNDER

Post by sunndog »

Yeah I think most of us "could" upgrade our spotters but spotters don't need to be the latest and greatest do they.
I could go back three spotters and still get the job done
anthony

Post by anthony »

i use a XQ50 Quantum well at the moment im not
as i dropped off at TJ on Wednesday as the video out stopped working
jthyttin

Post by jthyttin »

Original FLIR Scout 320x240, and occasional loaners (testing them to give opinion for dealers etc). Or actually it's not original, been replaced once at Sweden repair center because battery started acting at about 1.5 years. Brand new unit with new 3 year warranty, cannot complain. I also have FLIR software but there's not much options mainly eliminate the auto-shutdown feature (you can also convert it into marine unit with different firmware but there's not much point in that).

I originally made decision to upgrade when 640 class devices were affordable enough to maintain the FOV, and after that "advance" in features has made quite sure I cannot... currently using DIY video-out adapter. Scout is quite lousy handheld spotter by today's standards but it's brilliant in ambush or roof mounted (about 200m range with raccoon dogs that are similar size to hare/fox) and doubles as nice pick-up/short range handheld spotter. FOV is 24 degrees i.e. 2.5x compared to popular 38mm Pulsars.

I've tried to get new Axion for few months, not replacement but supplement, so far Pulsar has f*cked up the delivery twice. Going for XQ38LRF at the moment, but might "downgrade" to XM30S after testing both.
blueroll

Post by blueroll »

I started with a Quantum HD50 (from memory) then upgraded to Helion XP50 (brilliant), but now also have a Axion XQ38 LRF , which is just the job for slow stalk into 30ish yards for rabbits at night with sub 12ftlb air rifle.