What spotter do you use?

Spotter discussions
Spiralviral

Re: What spotter do you use?

Post by Spiralviral »

sunndog wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:17 am My dali must be about 5 years old too. I like to future proof my thermal purchases as much as I can and I went for the wt37 mostly because it's an absolute brick s**thouse of a thing, submersible, with a.v and 12v cables so it will make a great roof mounted truck spotter when I get a new handheld unit
Haha- I 'future proofed' my Quantum XQ38 by buying a spare one for that rainy day, lol! I tried the XQ50 too, but for my own application the wider FOV of the '38 did the job better.

My first unit was a rather expensive Flir HS307 Commander with 65mm lens, was only <9hz refresh rate and weighed twice as much as the Quantum, but did serve me very well for first five years of my thermal use. Tempted now to have a look at the Axion xq38 models though, not so much concerned about size/weight as to learn whether there is a marked improvement in the resolution from the finer screen, and should be more sensitive too, according to the specs.
David.evans

Post by David.evans »

Xq38 for me and does every thing I need
ticktock

Post by ticktock »

Still using my battered HD50S had it from new and it has never let me down. I have never felt the need to upgrade.
B&W FOX

Post by B&W FOX »

I went to a NV open evening and was lucky enough to be able to try all the digital and thermal spotters and scopes. The differences were unbelievable. How a manufacturer can produce so many models and versions that are so different obviously shows some models are produced just to fill a small gap in the market to ensure all options are covered.
I tried them ALL and budget was not the issue, but what suited my eyes and what worked best for me was. I ended up buying a XQ38 Accolade and have no regrets what so ever.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I've got an Axion XM30, found it very good re size, performance, and price, for my purposes (spotting for FAC air and HMR) but would be tempted by the Axion XQ38LRF if I was looking to buy now.
wall90

Post by wall90 »

i use a xq38f ,had it a couple of years now,very happy with it and does everything i need from a thermal spotter, i only shoot rabbits and i only really use it on base mag and find that black hot is best for my eyes.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Older thermal spotters which have a video output are still worth a bit of money as they can be converted to roof mount spotters with a screen in the vehicle.
This method gives a real time image of what the thermal sees without the horrible lag and frequent dropped connection that happens with spotters with wifi
Best of that bunch is the Pulsar Quantum Apex XQ50

Cheers

Burce
RussDouglas222

Post by RussDouglas222 »

Careful Bruce you'll get inundated with requests from folk wanting your 5* roof-mounted spotter conversion service! :D

Cheers. Russ
Airgun World magazine's independent disabled contributor, kit reviewer and Pest Controller.
Review videos: www.youtube.com/c/RussDouglas222
Review photos: www.tinyurl.com/RussDouglasAGW
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

They send em - I build em :lol:

Cheers

Bruce
ginner38

Post by ginner38 »

I had a Pulsar Quantum Lite XQ30V then got a Pulsar Quantum xq19 which when compared to the lite was better

cheers Dave